Sprint naar content

I am a British citizen

The United Kingdom has left the European Union. This withdrawal (Brexit) has consequences for students with a British nationality.

As a result of Brexit your right of residence in the Netherlands has changed. You are no longer an EU citizen. You will need a residence document to continue to live, work or study here after the transition period. The registration as a resident in your city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) serves as proof that you were living in the Netherlands on or prior to 31 December 2020.If you wish to stay in the Netherlands as a UK national after 31 December 2020, and you were already registered in the BRP by that date, make sure you have a residence document (article 50) or obtain one before 30 June 2021.

If you did not register in the BRP before 1 January 2021, then you need a residence permit to continue to live and study in the Netherlands. Fontys International Office will invite you by email to start this process. (Note: Applying for a Dutch residence permit for the purpose of study always needs to be done by the Fontys.)


Impact of Brexit on tuition fees and student finance

If you are already living (and registered in the BRP) in the Netherlands on or before 31 December 2020

In this case, you fall under the withdrawal agreement. For British students who are living in the Netherlands before the transition period ends on 31 December 2020 nothing will change with regard to the entitlement to pay statutory tuition fees and receive student finance. This applies even if you start a new course after the transition period ends.

If you come to live in the Netherlands after 31 December 2020

In this case you do not fall under the withdrawal agreement. British nationals will be treated as non-EU/EEA citizens. The type of residence permit you hold will determine whether you are entitled to receive student finance and pay statutory tuition fees. In most cases you will be not be entitled to receive student finance and pay statutory tuition fees, and will have to pay institutional fees