Sprint naar content

Basic health care insurance and a job

If you combine your study with a part time job related to your study or you have a student job or you are an international intern receiving at least the Dutch minimum wage that applies to your specific situation, you are considered to be insured under the Dutch Health Insurance Act (WLZ)

You are required to have a Dutch Basic Health Insurance .

We recommend the health insurer InsureToStudy This Dutch health insurer is able to provide services in English and can answer any further questions you might have regarding the Dutch standard health insurance. 

If you already have an InsureToStudy insurance (or if you are willing to take out one), you can profit a very low priced Dutch Basic Health insurance combination with Hollandzorg. This insurance can be applied to and be cancelled on a daily base which means that you can easily switch this insurance on if you start working and off the day you have stopped.

Of course you are free to take out any other basic health care insurance but without any special price or arrangements. Find a list of providers here

Note: You will risk a big fine if you don't take out the Dutch Basic Health insurance if you are obliged to. 

read more about working while studying in The Netherlands

Received a letter from the CAK?

You might receive a letter from the CAK about your insurance obligation. You need to take action within 3 months or you will receive a fine. Even if you incorrectly received the letter from the CAK. It is important to contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request (free of charge) an investigation of your insurance position under the Wlz scheme.