English language proficiency
English language proficiency
Fontys has set minimum language requirements for all programmes conducted in English. To prove that you meet these requirements, you will be asked to send one of the English language certificates, as shown in the table below.
You may be considered proficient in English and don’t need to provide a test score if:
- You have obtained a diploma of secondary education in a country listed on the diploma list drawn up on behalf of the associations of higher education institutions, as published on the Code of Conduct website.
- You completed your entire preparatory education in English, including students with an International Baccalaureate Certificate for English A Language and Literature. Fontys may ask NUFFIC to provide a statement confirming that the preparatory education has been completed entirely in the English language.
- You have obtained your diploma in a country where English is the primary language of communication, provided that education was entirely in English and/or with a sufficient grade for English as an exam subject (≥ 5.5). Please inquire via your admissions officer whether you qualify.
- You have a Dutch mbo-4, havo or vwo diploma.
- You are an exchange student.
- The requirements for a master’s degree, exchange students and specific programmes may differ, so check with your admissions officer.
- We don’t accept a combination of test results on different test dates, also known as ‘My best scores’.
- You will need to demonstrate your language proficiency if you have a diploma proving a sufficient English level, which was issued more than two years ago.
- Fontys only accepts language test certificates that are not more than two years old at the start of your study. Cambridge certificates are exempted from this requirement.
- All English tests must be taken at an authorized test centre. Fontys doesn’t accept online versions of tests. Please contact your admissions officer if your test centre is closed due to circumstances.
An applicant's level of proficiency in English must always meet the entry requirements for the chosen Fontys course programme. Fontys reserves the right to require language proficiency testing for all categories of applicants.
Students from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:
Students from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who are exempted from submitting language proficiency test results:
- Students from Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba in possession of a havo or vwo diploma
- Students from Curaçao, Aruba and St. Maarten in possession of a havo or vwo diploma obtained at Dutch-speaking schools
- Students from St. Eustatius and Saba in possession of a Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate
- Students from Bonaire in possession of a mbo-4 diploma
- Students from Aruba in possession of an EPI level 4 diploma and students from Curaçao with a SBO level 4 diploma, provided that education was entire in English and/or with a sufficient grade for English as an exam subject (≥ 5.5).