General information, terms and conditions accommodation
Although Fontys does not have its own campus dorms, it has established cooperation’s with a number of different accommodations agencies and landlords. Due to such cooperation’s, Fontys can provide students with guidance in finding accommodation for the first semester or academic year at Fontys. Due to the housing crisis in the Netherlands, . We therefore ask you to complete the accommodation form available on our website as soon as possible and in any case before the deadline of 15 June (You can apply even if your visa procedure has not yet been completed). This increases your chance of a room accommodation. Be aware that Fontys can only guarantee housing for a limited number of students. In addition to registering via the accommodation form, we strongly advise you to start looking for a room/accommodation as early as possible (Commercial) housing agencies. Keep an eye on our website for the most current information about housing.
Types of accommodations
- Standard accommodation (student room): The room measures at least 10 m2 (in case the room measures smaller, usually a shared living room is available or a lower rent is calculated).
The shared facilities are at least a kitchen with kitchen utensils, shower/bathroom and a toilet.
The rent is according the local market value in a range of € 380 - € 650 per month, energy and internet costs included.
- Semi- studio: Small studio with a bedroom and private shower/toilet a private kitchen.
The amount of rent will be at most €750,00 per month, energy and internet costs included.
- Independent studio: Studio with private facilities. Only for Bachelor students (not for one semester).
The rent is € 800,00 – , per month, energy and internet costs included.
All types of accommodations are furnished and contain at least a bed (including duvet, pillow and 1 set of bed linen), cupboard, desk and chair. A shared laundry machine and access to internet (not always wireless) will be available. Sometimes extra costs for use of laundry machine and/or set of bed linen are charged. The distance to the Fontys campus is maximum 30 minutes by bicycle.
It is prohibited to live in a single room with more than one person.
Costs and payments
Please take into account that your housing agency will normally request an advance payment of the following items:
- Two month terms of rental fees. Exchange students sometimes may be asked to pay the full semester in advanced.
- A refundable deposit, usually to the amount of one month of rental fees, as a security bond in relation to any possible damage to the accommodation.
- Cleaning costs at the end of the rental period (max. ± € 100).
- When the use of energy is significantly more than average, the student will probably have to pay extra. So use energy wisely!
- The student is responsible for paying the monthly rent (in time), so before the 1st day of the upcoming month. This is not the responsibility of Fontys.
A Bachelor student applies for a rental period of one full study year (except when starting in February). An Exchange student applies for a rental period of one or two semesters. In the spring semester it is only possible to apply for one semester. Arriving later or leaving earlier than the mentioned period on the accommodation form will not lead to a lower total amount of rent.
In case of premature departure from the offered room, payment for the remaining period still has to be paid. When the landlord charges Fontys for the remaining period of the lease following premature departure, Fontys can recover this amount from the student.
After the final date of the rental contract, the student must find a new room at a legal address by himself/herself!
Comments or complaints
In case of comments or complaints about the accommodation, the student should contact the housing agency / landlord, as the rental contract is closed between student and housing agency/ landlord. If the problem persists, the student may contact Student Administration International for advice: firstname.lastname@example.org