Sprint naar content



If you are achieving insufficient educational progress, you will have to leave the Netherlands unless you have other legal grounds to reside in the country.
In principle, your residence permit remains valid if you take another course at the educational institution. The educational institution must be informed, however, within 4 weeks. The educational institution will pass on the notification to the IND. If you move to another educational institution, you must notify the IND that this institution will become your new sponsor. The educational institution must be recognised as a sponsor by the IND. You must also promptly inform your old educational institution of the transfer.
You may stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 1 year. The requirement is that you follow temporary education abroad in order to finish your studies in the Netherlands. With a residence permit for study in the Netherlands, it is possible to undergo part of the study programme at a higher education institution in one or more other Member States of the European Union. This is called intra-EU mobility. If you want to make use of this possibility with a residence permit for study, your programme must be a Union or multilateral programme comprising mobility measures or an agreement between your higher education institution and the higher education institution in the other Member State based on which you can pursue part of the study programme at the other higher education institution. You may stay a maximum of 360 days per Member State in one or more other Member States within the framework of intra-EU mobility. If so, the IND must be notified that you will be pursuing part of the study programme in a different Member State. Your Dutch residence permit will then remain valid in principle. Denmark and Ireland have not bound themselves by the European Directive with regard to EU mobility. Consequently, the foregoing does not apply to these countries

To apply for a replacement you need to report this to the police immediately because you need a police report of the lost card. On the website of the IND you can find the application form to apply for a replacement of your card:

Apply for replacement of residence permit card

The application costs € 139. If the document has been stolen and you have student insurance you can claim these costs. Please contact your insurance company for more information about that.

Your residence permit for study after graduation will remain valid until 3 months after deregistration from your educational institution. Or until the start date of your orientation year. If you wish to stay in the Netherlands after your study you have to apply for a different residence permit. As a graduate, you can make use of the orientation year for graduates.

Before you leave the Netherlands you have to arrange several things. For example, deregistration with the municipality and handing in your residence document.

What to arrange when leaving the Netherlands

If the answer to your question is not included here, please do not hesitate to contact Team International Students by e-mail, at internationalstudents@fontys.nl.