Sprint naar content

Change residence permit into orientation year

Change residence permit into orientation year

The Dutch government has introduced the orientation year residence permit  (also known as Search Year or Zoekjaar) to give the possibility to stay another year in The Netherlands to find a job after you have completed your study successfully. The application has to be received – by post, online, or at a Dutch representation abroad – within 3 years after your graduation date or after the expiry date of your Dutch residence permit for scientific research.

Fontys can only provide the information you need for the application for an orientation year. You have to apply for it yourself with the application form.

If the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) approves your application for an orientation year you are free to work without a work permit for the duration of your residence permit.

Find the application conditions, checklist documents and more information on the website of the IND

Please note: if you have a job you are obliged to take out a Basic Health Care Insurance.

Extra information:

  • You have to be graduated at the time of the appointment. It is no problem if you do not have your diploma yet. Your study department has to fill in a statement. You can find this statement in the application form.
  • You need to bring with you the completely filled in application form and all required documents, your current residence permit (copy of both sides) and your passport (copy of all used pages).
  • The visa fee is 228 euro and must be paid immediately.
  • If you have a valid residence permit for the Netherlands you do not need to undergo a Tuberculosis test.