General and Orientation (Fontys Wide Partners, Cluster Partners, Coordinator Internationalisation)

A coordinator internationalisation (CI) is your main contact when you are looking at applying with a cluster partner, your CI will be able to provide you with more information about the cluster university and also assist you with your learning agreement (LA), transcript of records and documents from DUO. You can find your CI here.

Fontys-wide partners are available to all Fontys students, while Fontys Cluster partners are only available to students from a specific Fontys school within a certain Cluster (group of Fontys schools).

You can find these here.

You can find this here. Exchange Place/ non-fee paying means you only pay your tuition fee to Fontys, and you do not need to pay any tuition to your host university.

For Fontys-wide partner universities, this is clear and stated on the website. If this is unclear for Cluster partner universities, please contact your Coordinator Internationalisation.

Most partners only offer courses in certain study fields and not specific minor programs. The field of study offered depends on the partner contract with Fontys. You can find all Fontys-wide and cluster universities here. Please note most universities do not work in the same way as Fontys. You simply choose a university and field of study that appeal to you and/or are in line with your current study. After you have been accepted to the host university, you can choose from certain subjects; these are generally not known before the selection, nomination and application procedure.

After graduation, Fontys has various possibilities for going abroad. Please check the scholarships page. You can, for example, continue studying abroad, start an internship or start your own business and have a learning exchange on entrepreneurship abroad.

Yes, you indeed hope you both get accepted. The chances of you both getting accepted to the same university will be higher if you don’t go to a popular country/ university or a university with limited places.

If you wish to study at a university abroad that is currently not a Fontys-wide Fontys School partner, you can decide to go as a free mover. Fontys does not establish agreements at the requests of students.

Minors that are too similar to your own studies will not suffice, your Coordinator Internationalisation will also be able to find a minor which would suit your studies best. Your minor is meant to broaden and/ or expand your knowledge.

Selection procedure

All applications for a minor Study Abroad (Fontys wide partner, Fontys School partner university and free mover) must be submitted through Mobility Online. Please go to our Registration and Deadlines page here for more information on how to apply.

This generally takes approximately two weeks, which will be given for the first round after the deadline has passed and another one will be given for the second round after the deadline has passed.

A unique motivation, personal and not a general motivation, that any student could have written, why do you want to go abroad and what can this offer you, personally, study, career perspective. Wanting to go to Spain for the wine and tapas is definitely not the strongest motivation.

A highly competitive university can have two spots available and twenty-five to thirty applicants.

We can’t say this really depends on which university you choose and how popular this university is, as well as your own motivation. When going to a less popular country/ university, the chances of getting nominated are larger.

Yes, you can mention this indeed, but if there are limited spots, the student with the best motivations will get the first choice.

No, you will not have to make a learning agreement until after you have been placed at a partner university. However, we do advise you to have a look at the courses a partner university offers to see if they have enough interesting courses for you to collect 30 ETCS. You can also contact your internationalisation coordinator to get more information about any requirements for courses your school may have. It is also advised to use any courses of interest in your motivation.

You need to receive approval on your learning agreement from the exam board, please discuss your plans on when you would like to do your internship and when you would like to do your minor with your Coordinator Internationalisation (CI, you can find your CI here).

No, it is impossible to apply for an exchange place at a Fontys School partner of a school that is not your own. For example, if you study at the International Business School you cannot apply for an exchange place at a partner of the School for Marketing and Management.

After you have been accepted at the specific university you will be able to create a learning agreement based on the courses offered by the host university, this will then need to be accepted by your exam board.

This varies per partner university. To get an idea of the competition for exchange spots at Fontys-wide partners, you can check the competitive scale in the overview of Fontys-wide partners.

For Fontys-wide partners, the selection will be based on the motivation students wrote in their application in Mobility Online. Team Study Abroad has specific criteria to assess the motivations. You can read more about the selection procedure in the document ‘Applying for a minor Study Abroad’. Please note that other requirements may apply when you want to study at a Fontys School partner, for more information contact your coordinator Internationalisation.

You will adhere to the Host semesters, not the Fontys semesters. It is important to remember this, for example, in case of a possible overlap with internship weeks or Fontys exam periods. Usually, partners in Asia start in April, whereas partners in the USA start in January.

Yes, and we recommend you do so as a plan B.

You can apply; however, generally, you do need to have your P to be accepted. Please do contact your CI if you have further questions regarding this. Coordinator Internationalisation (CI, you can find your CI here).

The list of fields noted on our website are the only options available, we update this regularly.

Yes, this needs to be written in English.

Congratulations, you have been selected for a Minor Abroad at a University of your choice; this does not mean you have been nominated or accepted as of yet! There is still work to be done! Now, you will need to wait (patiently) to receive the information from your CI or Study Abroad office that you have been nominated. This can take a few weeks as we are working very hard to ensure all nominations are completed within the deadline period. Please do not send emails asking for updates, as in this case, the nomination period will only take longer.

Nomination procedure

This depends on your host university’s nomination deadline. There’s no specific deadline for the whole nomination. We kindly ask you to be patient, as contacting us during this period will only take us longer to complete this procedure.
This depends on the deadline of the partner university. Some have the deadline at a later date, thus they will most likely contact you once the nomination deadline has passed.
Depends on which partner you have been nominated to. If you have been nominated to Fontys Wide partner, contact us at Team Study Abroad. If it’s Fontys Cluster partner, contact your Coordinator Internationalisation.
Congratulations, you have been nominated, this does not mean you have been accepted, once nominated the host university, your CI or the Study Abroad office will contact you regarding the application procedure. Please do note this also can take a few weeks, so please be patient, this also can take a few weeks. If you, however, have been informed of a certain deadline for the application procedure and you have not heard back close to the deadline, please do reach out; if not, please be patient.
Yes, regarding your learning agreements (LA), you must always contact your CI.
Please contact Team Study Abroad in case it’s a Fontys-wide partner. If it’s a cluster partner, please contact your Coordinator for Internationalisation.
You will need a plan B, which can be a different minor at Fontys. Please discuss this with your Coordinator Internationalisation.

Start these steps as early as possible.

Application procedure

In some cases it can be quite a lot of information and documents you will need to supply to the host university in quite a tight time frame. So, tip one: start immediately. In a lot of cases, your CI will be able to assist you with most of the documents; if the documents you need to supply to the host university are not clear to you or if you have any questions, usually, the quickest way to get more information on this is to contact the contact at the host university directly.

Normally, this is a formality, and in most cases, you are accepted. Sometimes, they check if you have a sufficient GPA or your level of language sufficiency.
This depends on the host university. In most cases, it’s confirmed within four weeks after the ‘nomination’ has been done by Fontys.
Depending on which partner it is, you can contact Team Study Abroad (Fontys Wide Partners) or your CI (Fontys Cluster Partners)
There’s no general deadline, but once you have been informed that you have been nominated but you have not heard back within four weeks, contact Team Study Abroad or your CI.
You will be notified directly by your CI or host university if it regards a cluster partner. If it regards a Fontys-wide partner team, Study Abroad or the host university will notify you.
No, it needs to be filled in during that period when you are at the partner university, and then once you are back home.
You can connect via the networking Teams channel, which we will share the link to during our online event. However, it could be that you are the only student going to that specific partner/country. In that case, you might be able to connect with other students at neighbouring countries.
If there’s already a factsheet you’ve received, please read them thoroughly. Also, it might be a good idea to check the partner university website.
You can contact your CI and they will be able to give you a what’s equivalent to grades.
You will need an official ToR. This means that you will need to receive this from the bedrijfsbureau of your institute.
You can ask your CI in this case, Team Study Abroad does not know your level of English and can't assist you with this.
You’ll be contacted via email, in most cases directly by the host university. Please check spam box regularly.
The partner will contact you regarding the registration steps.
As in the majority of cases, our students are accepted, thus if you have information regarding the courses, you can already go ahead and look into filling out further information such as your Learning Agreement.
If you have been nominated as an exchange student, you will be accepted as exchange student and NOT fee paying student.

Learning agreement

You may start on your LA if you already have the course list from the partner university.
Generally this is indeed provided by the host university, please read the provided information received from the host university carefully and check their website. If it is not mentioned here, contact the host university directly or via your Coordinator Internationalisation or Team Study Abroad if direct communication is not permitted.
You need to submit your LA, and in order for you to do so, you need course list from host university, so most cases, you can already fill it in but you might need to change it in case there’s an update.
If you have the most recent course list, that is possible.
Please discuss this with your Coordinator Internationalisation.
Please discuss this with your Coordinator Internationalisation.
You can send an email to studyabroad@fontys.nl asking for this change. Please indicate your name, host institution and changes you would like us to make very clearly.
No, this is something you create yourself in communication with your Coordinator Internationalisation and your host university. This is not provided by the host university.
You need to submit your LA few weeks before your departure.
Please contact your Coordinator Internationalisation in this respect as it could differ per institute.
Please discuss this with your Coordinator Internationalisation.
Please contact your Coordinator Internationalisation regarding your LA.
You will first need to submit it and download it from MO.
You’ll need your LA approved by your institute, so first you’ll need to upload it in MO
This means you will not have all the required ECTS. In this case, please contact your Coordinator Internationalisation to see if you can get extra credits with extra courses within Fontys.


Acquiring Visa is student’s responsibility. You can check the Embassy of your destination for required documents and any further information. Please also contact the host university as they can assist you with this too.
Acquiring Visa is student’s responsibility. You can check the embassy of your destination for required documents and any further information.
  • We would recommend you to apply for the VISA as soon as you have been accepted.
  • The most up to date information is provided on the embassy websites please do follow this.
We would advise to not start any (financial) arrangements before you have been accepted.
Please check the embassy website for this information.


The host university will normally contact you regarding accommodation when they accept you.
This depends per host university. Some offer assistance and in some cases, you will have to look for your own accommodation. You will need to contact the host university regarding accommodation information.
This date is set by system and the actual dates differ per host university. You will need to update the date when you receive information from the host university.
We would like to advise you to contact the host university in this case as they might be able to assist you in this case.


It is a step in your workflow in mobility online

That is ok, but generally they accept before as the Erasmus+ application deadline.
No, if you are placed in non-erasmus it means your destination does not apply, contact your CI if you think that is wrong
Yes, you get the additional scholarship because you get the aanvullende beurs now. We don't know about the amount difference if you live with your parents or not.
Yes, you will keep getting it (from DUO) o The additional money also if you recieve basisbeurs.
Yes, both.
You keep getting it, you get both.
Only for car pooling.
Maybe Holland Scholarship applies in your situation. https://www.fontys.nl/en/Fontys-Study-Abroad/Scholarships/NL-Scholarship.htm
Maybe Holland Scholarship applies in your situation. https://www.fontys.nl/en/Fontys-Study-Abroad/Scholarships/NL-Scholarship.htm
https://www.fontys.nl/en/Fontys-Study-Abroad/Scholarships/NL-Scholarship.htm check if the Japanese partner is here and if it matches your Fontys school. If not, you don't get Erasmus+ for Japan. https://www.fontys.nl/en/Download-4/General-conditions-Study-version-SEP2023.htm

Please find all the countries you can go to the Erasmus+ scholarship page on the Fontys website.
You can apply for an Erasmus+ and Holland scholarship programme in different semesters. You can go to different destinations with these scholarships.

It works exactly the same as the regular Erasmus+. You have to complete the application form in Mobility Online. After applying you get a selection email with details about documents you have to upload. You have to follow the steps and instructions in Mobility Online.

Please find more information here.

Unfortunately it is not available at this moment.
You can read all the details about Holland Scholarship Programme here.
The European Erasmus+ scholarship is available for Fontys students that are going to Study Abroad at a Partner University or do an Internship Abroad. The student has to go to a different country from where they live. For example if you are a Fontys student from Belgium and you live in Belgium, you cannot do your study abroad in Belgium.
Holland Scholarship Programme. You can read more about it in the following link here.
You can contact your Coordinator Internationalisation to be sure about the dates. It is important to have the correct dates in Mobility Online for your scholarship, because your scholarship will be calculated based on these dates.
Think about your real motivation on going abroad. Why do you want to study abroad, why you chose this country and this university. What are your interests and hobbies and make sure they are in line with your choice. Googling tips can also help.

Students who wish to come to Switzerland submit an application with their host university in Switzerland. Contact the international office of this university to learn more about the selection process and all SEMP documents (Application documents, Learning Agreement, Grant Agreement etc.). All of this is provided by the host institution in Switzerland.

How are the motilities organised?

HEI usually have an International Relations Office. They are responsible for organising and carrying out student and staff mobility. Students, lecturers and employees who would like to find out about the possibilities of spending a period abroad should contact theInternational Relations Office of their HEI. There, they can obtain all further information (requirements, application, deadlines, etc.).

No, this does not apply for all universities abroad. You can check which countries and universities you can apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship here.
You can change your Learning Agreement during the first five weeks after you start your study abroad. If it is not possible you have to send an email to your Coordinator Internationalisation to ask for help when this situation occurs, this is not common.
Please discuss this with your Coordinator Internationalisation.
Yes, it is one of the options.
It has to be done before departure. Usually the Host Universities have them on time. Please be patient.
Please check our scholarship page for this information.
Correct, but this is only for South-Korea, Chung-Ang University. Pay attention also to the University.
For non-European countries you can get a Holland Scholarship. For Japan and other specific non-European countries and Universities, you can get an Erasmus Scholarship. Please check for more information here. In case of Japan you have two options: Japan Reitaku University and Osaka Gakuin University.
Yes, just the student needs to sign. You also have to complete the date and place.
All the students who are studying at Fontys and living in The Netherlands can get the Erasmus Scholarship.
When you fill the Erasmus+ form in MO you also have to complete the details of the host University.
The dates in Mobility Online need to be the first and last day of class.
You can change your Learning Agreement during the first 5 weeks since you start your study abroad.
All scholarship information can be found here.
Only the student has to sign the Grant agreement before uploading.